Stuff – Black Caps captain Kane Williamson talks about the challenges facing his bowling attack in Sri Lanka.
- READ MORE: * Kane’s cake on the boundary * Hesson eyed by India, Pakistan * Black Caps park Lord’s baggage * Langer on course to be Australia’s finest coachFor the 15-man Black Caps squad in Sri Lanka for their World Test Championship opener starting on Wednesday in Galle, it wasn’t quite as simple as “pick a number, any number”.
- Each player’s shirts also carry their official test number beside the silver fern on their chest, which for Raval is 271, Patel 274 and Somerville 275 (the latter New Zealand’s 275th and most recent test cricketer).
- Twenty years on, the New Zealand Cricket Museum compiled a definitive list of player numbers worn across ODI and Twenty20 international cricket.
- Black Caps team manager Mike Sandle and logistics manager Riaan Muller have their master list, too, on which about 40 numbers between one and 99 are still available for new players to choose.
- Black Caps shirt numbers for the test series against Sri Lanka: