Fox Sports Australia – While James Pattinson ripping in to Jason Roy for complaining about the stump microphone was about as testy as it got between the two sides at Edgbaston, the far more entertaining sledgefest has taken place beyond the boundary rope between two foes with a rivalry as fierce as the one on the cricket pitch.
- Of course, we’re talking about the battle of the breakfast spreads — Marmite vs Vegemite.
- Get your 14 day free trialMarmite threw the first punch by handing out free jars to spectators in Birmingham in an effort to convert Aussie fans before Vegemite took out a full-page ad in UK newspaper The Daily Mirror to ram home the fact the Aussies had demolished the hosts by 251 runs in the series opener.
- Marmite was forced to fight back when Vegemite’s ad — created by consumer psychologist and media commentator Adam Ferrier — went viral.
- “G’day, news has reached down under that free jars of Marmite are being handed out at the Ashes to try to prove it tastes better than our Vegemite,” the Australian company’s ad read.
- “The reason for the campaign is just to have a bit of a stab at Marmite and the fact they’re trying to woo our customers over and the fact Australians like the taste of Vegemite because Vegemite tastes like Australia,” Ferrier said.