BBC – Not many interviews are conducted with an 11-month-old baby girl present.
- But, given that James Pattinson had come to talk about his family history, it was apt that his daughter Lilah was rolling around on the floor of a Leeds hotel, being entertained by Australia’s media manager.
- Born in Melbourne to a father from Grimsby and a mother from just outside of Barnsley, Pattinson could have played for England.
- Pattinson’s time living in England lasted only a couple of years before the family went back to Melbourne – “mum got sick of the weather” – but the impression made by Grimsby, and English football, was lasting.
- Pattinson’s childhood and the links to England have continued to echo through his adult life and most of his extended family are still in Cleethorpes.
- “One of the things that helped him change his mind was that when Darren played his Test, some of the great England players that dad loved said some things that he wasn’t happy with.”